The summer of 2014, the Texan sun was relentlessly beating down on Austin, every living being was hunkered down indoors and the kids were running wild. Three tech-dads at their wits end, keeping their broods busy came upon the idea of STEMergy – an initiative to keep the little ones busy with productive, hands on learning based on STEM subjects.
They understood that some of the best kind of learning happens when children just set out to explore something on their own.The idea is to encourage STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) learning by giving the kids a space to showcase their creations so that family and friends can view and easily respond. This encourages the child to use technology constructively and instills in them a thirst for knowledge and a lifelong adventure of curiosity.
STEMergy in Context
In a world that’s becoming increasingly complex, where success is driven not only by what you know, but by what you can do with what you know, it’s more important than ever for our young ones to be equipped with the knowledge and skills to solve tough problems, gather and evaluate evidence, and make sense of information. These are the types of skills that students learn by studying science, technology, engineering, and math subjects.
Current research in project-based learning demonstrates that projects can increase student’s interest in STEM as they involve students in solving authentic problems, working with others, and building real solutions. This is where STEMergy comes into play by bringing project-based learning to the hands of the little ones and their parents.
STEM through STEMergy
STEMergy with its enabler app is an attempt at creating and connecting STEM huddles/ clubs around the USA by ….
- Providing a safe and secure environment for kids to connect with each other.
- Providing an interactive platform for learning and brainstorming ideas
- Showcasing your projects by posting videos
- Encouraging peer review and learning
- Helping kill boredom that comes with bookish learning
- Piquing the interest of the kids as it challenges the mundane
How it works…..
- Install STEMergy app from Google Play store (Coming soon on Apple App store)
- Sign up and create your profile (for children under 13, parental sign up required)
- Choose your fields of interest while creating your profile (STEMergy app populates a comprehensive list of project ideas/experiment kits based on your interest)
- Add friends and form an activity huddle (club) and set a date for meet up with your huddle members
- Purchase STEM kit or bring your own and start exploring
- Demonstrate your experiments to your huddle on meet up day and then swap your kits
- Learn more and never lose your curiosity